ANCESTOR HUNTING SINCE 1961
The village of Filby sits on Filby Broad in Norfolk, England, which is now an anglers paradise and a reserve water supply for Great Yarmouth. The Norsemen must have found this sheltered bluff overlooking a freshwater estuary of the North Sea an excellent wintering camp site with access to the sea, ample fish and fowl and easily defended against the Saxons of the area
In 1968 our 'Homecoming' gathering of over 250 people with variants of the surname Filby saw the beginning of a long and rewarding relationship between the church and Filby families from around the world. Since then The Filby Association have supported All Saints Church with regular donations. We have our own book stand where visitors to the church can read all about the Association. The Book of Remembrance is for those who wish to preserve the memory of their ancestors and loved ones. If you wish to have something added go through our contact page.
In 2016 the church was in need of renovation and was completely reordered. See photos below of the changes made at this time.
All Saints Church is well worth a visit in its own right. Perhaps most intriguing is the iron clad door to the belfry because it has seven locks. Why seven, nobody knows. One suggestion is that the tower was used as a strong room for village valuables and as a refuge against marauders from the sea, and other disturbers of the peace. The church today differs little from its 1822 engraving. The large square tower in the Perpendicular style c.1400 -1575 has an unusual feature in that the figures on the top corners depict the four Latin Doctors of the Church. There are five 17th century bells, the chiming apparatus having been recently restored and is now mechanised. It is one of few churches to have retained its thatched roof.
While the church registers date back to 1561 in the reign of Elizabeth 1 and are well preserved, the most recent entry of the name Filby, when an Elizabeth Filbye was united in marriage to Thomas Mantrope, is listed in 1661.